- When can I place regular refuse, recyclable, compost, or bulk item curbside for residential collection?
By City Ordinance, these items may be placed curbside after 6 pm the evening before your scheduled pick-up day. All items must be curbside by 7 am on your scheduled collection day. Loose bags, boxes, and improper containers/cans are prohibited (the only exception is an empty refrigerator, stove, washer, or dryer box).
- Whom should I call if I have problems with the refuse collection?
Call the D.P.S. at 586-445-5470 for information regarding guidelines, pickup problems, or any questions / concerns you may have. Office hours are 7:30 am to 4 pm and messages can be left after 4 pm and calls will be returned the following morning.
- What is considered a bulk item?
A mattress and box spring, couch, dinette set, or appliance are considered bulk items. Call Green For Life at 866-772-8900 the day before if you have a large, heavy, or metal item such as an appliance. Residents are allowed one bulk item on the regular collection day.
- What size containers or bags can I use?
The City of Roseville has provided each address with a 96-gallon trash container. The container may be filled and placed out at the curb weekly. Residents who need an additional trash container may purchase one from Green For Life: 866-772-8900.
- What about building materials?
Green For Life will pick up one small item from a construction / remodeling project that does not exceed 60 lbs. in weight, 4' in length or 18" in diameter. Scrap wood must be securely bundled with nothing sharp protruding.
- How and when are grass, leaves, and yard materials picked up?
Compost collections start at the beginning of April and conclude at the beginning of December. Exact dates are on the City calendar which is on the website or available from the Clerk's Office.
- What are the compost collection guidelines?
- 30 gallon approved brown paper (kraft) compost bags, no heavier than 60 pounds. No plastic bags!
- Cans - 32 -35 gallon and must have City "COMPOST" sticker on it, no heavier than 60 pounds.
- Bundles - brush / branches no larger than 2" in diameter must be tied securely - no longer than 4 feet in length, 18" in diameter and weigh no more than 60 pounds per bundle. No stumps or entire bushes will be accepted.
- How do I dispose of unbundled or large volumes of brush, tree limbs, etc?
You can dispose of these on your own with a commercial facility or schedule the D.P.S. chipper service. There is a fee of $70 per hour with a minimum charge of $35 for up to a half-hour and you must sign a form to have this service performed. The chipper will accept limbs up to 8" in diameter (no stumps). The D.P.S. at 29411 Calahan can provide the Chipper Agreement form (PDF) and answer any questions. The application is also available on this website. You can mail, email, or return the form in person to the D.P.S.
- What can I put in the Recycling bin / 64 gal cart?
- Plastics (containers with codes Number 1 through Number 7)
- Grocery Bags
- Clear and Colored Glass
- Phone Books
- Brown Paper Bags
- Cardboard (cereal, tissue, gift, shoe boxes) - flattened
- Household Batteries (place in a clear plastic bag on top of bin/cart)
NO paper milk / juice cartons, styrofoam, wax-coated cardboard, garbage, propane tanks, paint cans, window glass, medical waste, flammable liquids, household cleaners, chemicals, or wood.
- How do I dispose of household hazardous wastes such as oil based paints, stains, cleaners, solvents, chemicals, glues, motor oil, lawn & garden sprays, or fertilizer?
Macomb County Health Department has a monthly household hazardous drop-off at 43525 Elizabeth Road. They can be reached at 586-469-5236 for dates and times.
- How do I dispose of Latex Paint?
Latex paint must be dried out or solidified prior to disposal. Use cat litter, oil dry, sand, or other suitable material to dry out the paint or allow it to air dry. Once the paint is solid, leave the lid off the can and set it out at the curbside for collection with your regular refuse. If you are unsure whether the paint is latex (water-based), refer to the clean-up instructions on the paint can. Latex paint can be cleaned up using soap and water.
- How do I know when to expect my trash pickup during a holiday week?
Collection will be delayed by one day only, when the holiday is on a weekday, for the following holidays: New Year's Day (January 1), Memorial Day (last Monday in May), Independence Day (July 4th), Labor Day (first Monday in September), Thanksgiving Day (fourth Thursday in November) and Christmas Day (December 25).
- Are tires accepted in trash collection?
Tires are not accepted in trash collection unless cut in quarters. Please return them to a tire retailer - a small disposal fee may be charged.
- How do I dispose of a propane tank?
Propane tanks are NOT collected with your trash and must be taken to a propane dealer.
- How do I dispose of needles (sharps)?
Place in a sturdy plastic container such as a bleach bottle, coffee container, laundry jug (no plastic milk containers or thin plastic containers) and drop off at the D.P.S., 29411 Calahan, Monday through Friday, 7:30 am to 3:45 pm.
- When can I expect snow plows to come down my street?
After the main roads have been plowed and the storm has passed, we will then begin our residential snow plowing operation. Residential streets will not usually be plowed until approximately 4 inches of snow has accumulated on the roads. In most cases, plowing of residential streets will be done during normal business hours, Monday through Friday, 7:30 am to 4 pm It takes 2 to 3 days to get the entire City plowed. So that we can be more efficient when plowing residential streets, the Parking Ordinance (PDF) is in effect requiring vehicles to stay off the street from 9 am to 4 pm until after the City trucks have plowed the street from curb to curb.
- Where do I find a recreational vehicle sanitary dump station?
- How do I have a tree planted at my home?
The D.P.S. plants trees in the right-of-way for residents each spring. You may contact the D.P.S. at 586-445-5470 to be placed on the list to have the literature detailing the types and prices of trees mailed to you, which is normally mailed in mid-April. A resident may purchase a tree to be planted by the City in the right-of-way, or purchase a tree for their private property and the City will deliver the tree to their home for them to plant.