If you are the victim of identity theft you can file a police report in one of three jurisdictions.
- Please note (c) below. There may be instances where your identity was used fraudulently in multiple jurisdictions. It may save you time if you make a report in your home jurisdiction instead of going from city to city to make individual reports.
- This is particularly true if you find your identity was fraudulently used across state and international borders.
762.10c Identity theft; prosecution; jurisdiction.
(1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (3), conduct prohibited by law, or former law, and listed in subsection (2) may be prosecuted in 1 of the following jurisdictions:
- The jurisdiction in which the offense occurred.
- The jurisdiction in which the information used to commit the violation was illegally used.
- The jurisdiction in which the victim resides.
Identity Theft Protection Act 452 of 2004